UNIFORM | Joan Didion

 
Joan Didion in Los Angeles via Christopher Niquet.

"I am bad at interviewing people. I avoid situations in which I have to talk to anyone's press agent. (This precludes doing pieces on most actors, a bonus in itself.) I do not like to make telephone calls, and would not like to count the mornings I have sat on some Best Western motel bed somewhere and tried to force myself to put through the call to the assistant district attorney. My only advantage as a reporter is that I am so physically small, so temperamentally unobtrusive, and so neurotically inarticulate that people tend to forget my presence runs counter to their best interests. And it always does. That is one last thing to remember: writers are always selling somebody out." —Joan Didion, Slouching Towards Bethlehem, 1968.

Aubin & Wills Bedford tee ($62); Proenza Schouler Leather and woven tweed wrap mini skirt ($562); Ancient Greek Lito sandals ($163).

Thanks Julia for giving me this book. 

Comments

Great writer. Great quote. Great style.
Anonymous said…
This makes me so sad for the rather unhappy ending of Didion's story. But then again, I've never seen this picture before, so that's a plus.
Courtney said…
One of my favorite books + writers. She looks beautiful here.
Aja Lake said…
i truly love this post, lizzie. nice job:)

xx,
Aja Lake
the gold hat.
Sara said…
she is subtly vivacious.
Rainbow Sandals (leather flip flops)are a dressed down version of her shoes.
Amielle said…
Going to get my hands on a copy of that. It sounds simply fascinating, just from that quote. Plus I have a very special spot for female journalists.

That outfit/picture is so simplistically perfect.
jamie said…
i adore this post!
h-vogue said…
I’m in love with this entire outfit!
Anonymous said…
Impeccable style and proportion. I'm tall but this photo makes me wish I were petite.
Anonymous said…
Have been meaning to comment on this blog for a long time. It is so fabulous and this post has made me fall more deeply in love w/Tomboy Style!

Love Joan!! Love her style and you have done amazing job giving her props.

xo
Jeremy said…
she is subtly vivacious. Rainbow Sandals (leather flip flops)are a dressed down version of her shoes.
Rustam Sayal said…
Logo Embroidery Vision Embroidery - You can add custom Embroidery & Screen printing in Uniforms, T Shirts, Polos, Sweatshirts, Hoodies, Outerwear, Activewear, Sport Shirts, Chef Wear, and more.

Popular Posts