SCREEN | Out of Africa


Film stills from Out of Africa (1985) via screenshot.

*Thank you to a few readers who recommended this movie for Tomboy Style. As I re-screened the film last night it was hard to find a scene that wasn't sopping with Tomboy duds and dialogue. I especially loved Suzanna Hamilton's character Felicity (top right photo) and her wardrobe; I only wish there was more of her in the film. Out of Africa was nominated for nearly every category of Academy Awards, including, not surprisingly, best costume design. —LGM

Comments

arteriole said…
Beautiful, beautiful!
This Much said…
I love this movie and really like your blog. Thanks for your tomboy style inspiration!
Gigi said…
Great costumes -- & great movie! Loved the style of her home too -- as it looked early in the movie.
Lexie said…
netflixing this asap. meryl is the master.
Oooh I love this movie, SO much. For anyone who feels that same, I would recommend a book called "West with the Night". Very much in the same vein, and just generally amazing as well!
yanqin said…
Love this movie. Have you considered featuring Mattie Ross (played by Hailee Steinfeld)from True Grit? She was absolutely amazing.
Amanda said…
This is my favorite movie OF ALL TIME. I wish I'd known you had just watched it when we were visiting. I could have annoyed you by quoting the entire film in a fake Danish accent...

"I had a farm in Africa..."

I used to have girlhood dreams of flying in the front of Robert Redfords yellow plane...
ShelleyW said…
This movie had a huge influce on my fashion sense......I LOVE the clothes and the time period. When this movie came out, Banana Republic was in it's "hey-day" and The Limited had a brand out called "Outback Red". Oh how I wish I had kept some of my wardrobe pieces from then....... (sigh).....

Popular Posts