Q&A | Samantha Pleet


Photo by Mikael Kennedy via Wolverine. 

I've covered her collab with Wolverine before, but Brooklyn designer Samantha Pleet is definitely someone that should have been on this blog eons ago. Her mother was a woodworker and her grandfather was a shoemaker, which, if I'm not mistaken is the ideal pedigree for a boot-making clothing designer with a wicked eye and a no-nonsense attitude. For the past six odd years, Pleet has designed some fantastic dandy-inspired collections under the American-made Samantha Pleet line, and has been swirling around the Internets like crazy ever since her mega-successful collaboration with Wolverine launched in the Fall of 2012. The second round of Wolverine by Samantha Pleet is happening really soon (S/S 2013) and it's really really good. I love how Pleet takes cues and inspiration from adventurous women and epochs in history. As an example Samantha Pleet's Spring/Summer 2013 collection is influenced by ancient societies of the Fertile Crescent and the 19th century explorers that rediscovered them. (see below). NBD.

If not in New York, I would live in...London.

My dream holiday would be to
...Japan.
   
My current obsessions are...
 
Food: Chili oil, cheese-stuffed dates, Dim Sum, duck, and anything with rose or truffle flavoring.   
Music: Beach House, Chairlift, The Dirty Projectors, Nirvana, The Beatles and Enya.

Fashion: Proenza Schouler, Bonnie Boots, vintage Coach bags and my Rag and Bone hat.

Retail Stores: ABC Carpet & Home, American Two Shot, Bird, Horizon's Vintage, Assembly New York.

I channel my childhood self when I...am myself.

The fictional characters I most relate to are...
Annie Hall and Princess Leia.
If I had to be outdoors all day I would...hike to a waterfall in the summer, ski in the winter, and wander around the city in the spring and the fall.

My favorite quality in a man is...
wisdom.

My favorite quality in a woman is...creativity.

I'm terrified of...death.

My dream car is a...
90s red Jeep Cherokee.

My cocktail of choice is
...a Dark 'N' Stormy.

My celebrity crush is
...Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen.

My beauty product of choice is...
rose lotion.
 
My friends and I like to...take pictures.

If I could go back in time for one decade it would be...
the 1920s.
 
As a teenager I was totally into...really big pants and mixtapes.

I tend to splurge on...
travel.

My love of adventure, hats and three-piece suits...is what makes me have Tomboy Style.

Comments

Amielle said…
That short suit with those shoes is fabulous! And, oddly, I appreciate her fear answer.
Unknown said…
I really like a woman with books :)
Jade said…
so feeling ms. pleet these days! her shoes are a dream. really appreciated this post. splurging on travel sounds wise.

Popular Posts