Q&A | Aisha Muharrar


I'm not exactly clear on how I first met Parks and Rec writer and co-producer Aisha Muharrar, but I think it had something to do with Twitter and our mutual love for Molly Ringwald. Turns out we live just a few blocks apart so we can frequently discuss things of great importance in-person, like the best local restaurants that also serve up free wifi, cheap foot massage places, and what is happening between couples on TV shows. I usually also ask 100 questions about Parks and Rec (more specifically Ron Swanson). But today we unplugged a little and took a stroll through Griffith Park, where she told me just how important our parks really are (and that Nick Offerman really does know how to build a canoe by hand). 

If not in Los Angeles, I would live in...London. For a while now, I've had a fantasy of moving to London, becoming an editor of a British magazine, and marrying a barrister.

My dream holiday would be to...New Zealand and Australia.  

My current obsessions are...

Food: Scones.  

Music:  The Lumineers. I just went to their concert at The Fonda and they were fantastic. The cellist Neyla Pekarek is my new hero. 

Fashion: MiH jeans.

Retail Store: Library in Larchmont Village.

The fictional characters I most relate to are...Identifying with fictional characters is one of my favorite hobbies. As a kid, it would have been Harriet the Spy. Then later Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Emma from Jane Austen's Emma, Lisa Simpson, Diane Court from Say Anything, and probably also Lloyd Dobbler from Say AnythingAnd I obviously identify with Leslie Knope. Like any reasonable woman, I love waffles and Ben Wyatt.

If I had to be outdoors all day I would...head to the beach.

My favorite quality in a man is...compassion.

My favorite quality in a woman is...honesty.

My cocktail of choice is...a whiskey ginger.

The beauty product of choice is...Burt's Bees Honey & Shea body butter.

I channel my childhood self when I...go to a library or bookstore.  

I'm terrified of...spoilers.

My dream car is...Cher's Jeep in Clueless.  It's got 4-wheel drive, dual side airbags, and a monster sound system!

My celebrity crush is...Joseph Gordon-Levitt.  I thought he was cute when I was a kid and Angels in the Outfield came out. And he still holds up.

My friends and I like to...make watching a television show a major social event.

If I could go back in time for one decade it would be...The 1940s so I could befriend Katharine Hepburn. 

As a teenager I was totally into...daytime soaps. It started out as a way to bond with my grandmothers, and then I genuinely got into them.  

I tend to splurge on...birthday presents. I love picking out presents for people.

My mom...is what makes me have Tomboy Style. She has an effortless feminist quality that I admire.I can't remember her ever saying, "girls can do anything boys can do." She just led by example and as a result, I never hesitated jumping into any situation that was mostly guys, whether it was comedy or anything else.

Comments

Lexie said…
ahhh new hero alert! parks & rec is one of my favorite shows. it reminds me so much of mary tyler moore!

i love her answer about JGL .. he certainly holds up indeed.

Anonymous said…
love all her answers!
fun, upbeat, intelligent!
Pauline C said…
I am one of your french reader, and last week I ordered your book on amazon. Of course, I LOVED IT !
Your book makes me want not only to have LLbean duck boots, but also to live free, confident, in harmony with nature (yes don't laugh) .. with a true tomboy spirit. I really want to thank you, you've inspired me so much.
For too long I tried to follow fashion, to be considered as a cool person, but it didn't bring me anywhere.
I discovered your blog a year ago, the same time I started buying white tee-shirt. I was tired of buying clothes that were not trendy 6 months later. Now I recognize my true self into those "tomboy women" you show us. It's so relieving and effortless to live like that.
I don't know why I waited a year before buying your book, but the mistake is repaired !
I hope my comment makes sense :) bye
Lizzie said…
Wow, thanks Pauline!! That's so incredibly nice of you to say. xx
Mary said…
So this begs the question — where are the best foot massage places in LA? And restaurants?
Lizzie said…
I am a devotee of Sunny foot massage:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sunny-foot-massage-los-angeles

$25 for 60 min!

We also like these places to work/eat near Los Feliz:

Broome Street
Trails Cafe
Gelato Bar
Little Doms
Beachwood Cafe

I'm probably missing something...
aim said…
Nope! I agree with all of these.
Jane said…
I am obsessed with Parks and Rec! It's so great to see a profile on a female writer - talented and great taste to boot. Can I officially join your Molly Ringwald appreciation club?
Alexandra said…
Another great interview!

http://herribbonsandherbows.blogspot.co.uk/
AMELIA ALVAREZ said…
Few things...

This woman rocks, love her answers. Maybe I will run into you two at Beachwood Cafe.

Sunset footspa is pretty dope. (same as Sunnys? dunno)

Molly Ringwald is doing a book signing at Blushington in weho tomorrow night. I'll be there.

xo

www.clotheshorsenyc.com

AMELIA ALVAREZ said…
Few things...

This woman rocks, love her answers. Maybe I will run into you two at Beachwood Cafe.

Sunset footspa is pretty dope. (same as Sunnys? dunno)

Molly Ringwald is doing a book signing at Blushington in weho tomorrow night. I'll be there.

xo

www.clotheshorsenyc.com

Lizzie said…
Oh no, I'm going to the Cat Power show tomorrow night!

Hope to run into you at Beachwood Cafe so we can discuss foot massage locales in Hollywood. :)

Popular Posts