SCENE | Behind the Lens


Photos of photographers clockwise from top left: Dorthea Lange via Meme Play; Cindy Sherman via Averil Dean; Margaret Bourke-White via LKWD Public Library; Garance Doré via Forty Over Twenty; Annie Leibovitz via Oblong Books.

I think female photographers are, by nature and profession, some of the ultimate tomboys because they often have to be adventurous, bold, confident, and dress for mobility to follow the trail of a great photograph. Tomboy Style photo correspondent Simons Finnerty created this round-up of contemporary cameras for everyone from the analog party snapper to the digital pro blogger. 



Top row: Canon EOS 5D Mark II ($2900): A favorite among professional photo bloggers (a la Garance DorĂ©), this digital camera does not fool around. It takes videos too. Nikon FM10 35mm SLR ($270): If you miss shooting on 35mm film, but still want full control of the camera, this all-manual with a built-in light meter is a great option.  

Middle Row: Lomography La Sardina ($110): With a sardine can pattern and a retro feel, an attachable flash and several color filters, this film camera is just plain fun; Nikon D5100 ($700): This beginner-friendly DSLR camera is easy to use but still produces high-quality photos, and the bonus is the pop-out screen, which makes self-portraits a snap.  

Bottom row: Fujifilm INSTAX 210 ($60): The Polaroid of this millennium and a party favorite. Check out The Impossible Project for more coolness about instant photography in the digital era. Fujifilm X100 ($1200): A favorite of Kodachrome collector and menswear blogger Michael Williams of A Continuous Lean, this camera has the look of a vintage camera, but is a digital point-and-shoot. It's great for beginners and advanced photographers, and the results prove, more often than not, incredible. Simons Finnerty


 I'd love to know what camera you use and if you like it!

Comments

What a great post! I've been looking for a camera that performs well with both still and video - and this takes some of the guess-work out of it. All very inspiring women to boot...
thanks!
Sarah


http://dontcryatall.blogspot.ca/
Amielle said…
I use both the 5D Mark II and the Instax and love both. Actually, the 5D is my baby and it's been a wonderful year using it. This was a beautiful post about a fantastic profession. Thank you for writing it and sharing all these beautiful cameras, as well as the wonderful women who use them.
Nomadic D. said…
I used to use my husband's Nikon D80, but I wanted something of my own, with a little more oomph and the ability to do great videos. While I couldn't spring for the 5D, I got this baby:

http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/my-new-friend.html

And I'm absolutely in love with it.
Ashley Wilkins said…
I'm a Nikon girl all the way. Canon always feels flimsy in my hand and the color on Nikon always seems to be more realistic. Plus, NASA uses it. ;)
Anonymous said…
Great Post! I use a Nikon F100 and a D90. I've thought about switching to the Canon 5D but something in me just can't tear myself away from my Nikons.

xx Lauren
Clio said…
I mainly use my Canon AE-1 and it’s the best, I also love my Rolleiflex TLR and I recently got a polaroid which I can’t wait to use!
melly said…
I've been using my Nikon FM10 for over two years now and it's my best friend. Gotta upgrade to a more wide angle lens and I'm set for the next few years!
Unknown said…
I have a Nikon D80 that pretty much changed my life when I got it. I also use an old film Olympus, but the shutter seems to have broken, so it's just me and my Nikon these days. In the words of Paul Simon, "I got me a Nikon camera, I'd like to take a photograph, so mama don't take my Kodachrome away."

-Charlotte
As a photographer, I love this post! The 5D is absolutely wonderful, but I love my Canon 1V film camera even more!
Emily said…
I just got a Canon T3 and it has definitely changed my life (no hyperbole there).

I also have a 35mm Pentax SLR that I just adore. It comes out for special occasions.
Courtney said…
I've had a tiny little Canon something or other for the last few years, but I'm itching for an upgrade. This little guide is a helpful starting point. Thank you!
Lindsay Daniels said…
I can't tell you how happy I am about this post. I consider myself both a tomboy and a photographer. I've loved this blog and now I love it even more. Thank you!
RCM said…
I'm a D90 girl for digital- but I'll forever in my heart be large and medium format. <3
oh you know youd catch my eye with this one. i am a proud owner and avid user of a mamiya c330, nikon fm2, and polaroid 1200si spectra.
Gold Feather said…
Nikon FM10 is a beast of a camera. It takes the most beautiful film photography. This post is right up my alley, thank you!
Cons Oroza said…
I have the D5100 and so far it's been a blast :D
Such a great post! I would love to upgrade my Canon Rbel too a 5D..
Audrey said…
Oh i'm looking right now for a camera (just a beginner tough) i thought about to buy me a canons eos, but more budget friendly. Great post! thanks for the advice!
Rebecca said…
Oh my GOD how do I not already own LA SARDINA? I cannot STAND how adorbs it is!!!
Sara said…
my first digital camera is a panasonic lumix gf1- with voigtlander cosina manual lenses. I'm learning a lot - so eventually I can shoot film and move up to a GH3 or what ever comes next. I love the quiet of setting the camera up- and the flexibility of various lenses.
Vern said…
Canon SX20 IS. I love it! It's an extended range zoom, and with its 20x optical zoom and many manual control functions, it gives me a lot of freedom beyond a point and shoot. However, it's still a smaller package (and more affordable) than a full SLR and is kosher for events where camera's with "removable lenses" are prohibited. It also has a screen that swivels out so capturing self portraits on my solo adventures is a cinch!
Sketch42 said…
I use the Fuji X100- A great and quirky little camera, but I disagree, not at all good for beginners.
I use the Canon EOS 550D. It's my first DSLR and I'm still figuring things out.
fashion-instyle said…
I really like these old photos!
Anonymous said…
Vintage Leica M-3 that my Great-Aunt bought in Germany in 1958. It is, I think, the best camera ever made. So beautiful.

Popular Posts