UNIFORM | Mohinders Shoes

You may have noticed a resurgence in huarache style shoes here and there. I distinctly remember starting to spot them in Echo Park in L.A. a few years ago or so. Now, they're a bit easier to find (especially in warmer climes), but not necessarily when it comes to a quality pair. While a pair you may pick up in a sea town on a surf trip in Mexico may be memorable, a pair from Mohinders stand apart from other woven leather shoes.
They are ethically manufactured in rural India by 2nd and 3rd generation craftsmen and women who use a very unique vegetable tanning process that uses the bark of a babul tree and the myrobalan nut. If that means nothing to you, let me tell you what it means to me: they smell amazing and you can wear these shoes with no socks without fear that an unseemly aroma might arise from your feet after walking on a hot summer day all over town.

Currently Mohinders has two styles on offer: Men's City slippers ($145) and Women's Flats ($145) with women's City Slippers on their way soon! Check out Mohinders, they're inspirational on several levels and I've been wearing the shoes for days and am really digging them!


Jo-De Davis said...

These are beautiful shoes - but why are they slaughtering the sacred cow (water buffalo) for provisions? Do Indian peoples wear leather?

Michael Paratore said...

Hey Jo-De,

Thanks for your thoughtful question. It's a great one, and I've been trying to get to the bottom of it for a while now.

First, the water buffalo leather in our shoes is leather that the artisans are very comfortable working with. It's tanned in or nearby the village where they live, and has been tanned in this manner for 100s of years. They, their parents, and sometimes grandparents have used it to make shoes for many years. The reason I've told you this is because I'm convinced that working with this leather is not offensive to our artisans.

Second, from talking to as many Indians as possible, I get the sense that some Indians are pretty comfortable wearing cow leather and have shoes, belts, wallets, and other accessories made of cow leather. That said, I can't say for sure whether this is a prevalent view amongst a majority of Indians.

All that said, this question is very important to me and I'm still working to gather more information. If I have any updates, I'll be sure to post them here.

Thanks again!

the peddler, mohinders

Sia Pitt said...

Thanks for the post i love that shoes you can also find leather shoes brands