UNIFORM | Finisterre

A reader just recently left a comment turning me onto the UK-based cold weather surf company Finisterre out of Cornwall, England. I have never seen the product up close, but I became a fan of the brand immediately. First, it's so perfectly pared down and simple—the company stresses its functional fashionability without trying too hard. Aesthetically I love that their women's jackets, tees, sweaters, button-downs, et al, aren't wildly different from the men's offerings. In fact, the colors and designs are almost exactly the same and there isn't that way-too-many-darts-for-a-down-jacket thing that is beyond irritating (this photo says it all) and so common in women's outerwear. On top of all of this, the history of the brand and its ethos is not only ethical, but really actually inspiring. Here's a few snippets from Finisterre founder Tom Kay:

So without any design experience - in fact no business experience at all, I decided that I'd start a clothing company that would challenge the villains of the day as I saw them. The big corporate surf companies. Making cheap cotton t-shirts in far-flung, un-named factories that they'd sell to folk that had never been near the water. You know the kind of businesses I'm talking about. Little integrity and no transparency. 

So seven years later, what's the journey been like? Business heads tell us that they could have done it twice as fast for half the money. I don't think they're wrong. But for us, it was more about the adventure. Mistakes have been made for sure (there may well be more to come), but it was never about a formula, more about throwing caution to the wind and experiencing things money could never buy. [Thank you so much Aya for the recommendation]

Comments

Aja Lake said…
Their lookbooks are great. Thanks for the share, Aya and Lizzie.
Anonymous said…
Omg, YES. Thanks for sharing yet another awesome brand!
Aya said…
Oh yay! I KNEW you'd like it. I'm so pleased. Finally, functional, cool active wear without swirls and flowers on everything.
Amielle said…
Oh my goodness! Everything they have in their shop is screaming, "OWN ME!" at me and I'm finding it very hard to resist. Thanks for the share you guys!
Tonia said…
I ordered a sweatshirt and a marino wool baselayer shirt-dress from them after seeing this post and it arrived quickly and I haven't take either piece off yet! The fabrics are supremely high quality yet practical and the fit is flattering. Their clothing is perfect for the climate I live and play in. I'm a huge fan, thank you for introducing me to such a cool brand!
Katie said…
Oh wow! I wish I knew about this brand before my recent trip to Cornwall. I totally agree, I love that the women's clothing is so similar to the men's. Awesome stuff!

Popular Posts