CONTEMPORARY | Kate Lanphear


photo via Citizen Couture

"If you asked me who my style icons were, I’d say I began with old-school heavy metal. I love the androgyny and the glam. In high school I covered my bedroom walls with Axl Rose posters. Appetite for Destruction was out, and I trailed Guns N’ Roses’ tour bus in my Honda Civic (its plates read AXL LVR). I had these amazing, skinny, tight-enough-to- cut-off-your-circulation acid-wash jeans with an inky blue plastic zipper that ran up the seam, purchased at Spencer’s Gifts at the mall. I had begged my mom for them. They were part of a look: slouchy suede boots, oversize suede jacket, outrageous jeans. Breaking the suburbatopian mold by wearing metalhead garb definitely wasn’t something one did to fit in with the cool kids in Fairfax, Virginia." —Kate Lanphear

Comments

Pippi said…
I absolutely LOVE this woman! she has such a great style!
Anonymous said…
She has the greatest hairstyle ever. It is so classic and she could keep it for the rest of her life - it would look as amazing grey-blonde or white. She is amazingly sexy with her androgyny.

Popular Posts